1 tsp salt
1 1/2C warm water
4 Tbsp oil
2 well-beaten eggs
5 large potatoes
1/2C grated cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp margarine
1/4C fried onions (plus 1/4C for reserve)
1. In a bowl mix water, eggs and salt together
2. Add flour gradually and mix together to make a soft dough
3. Wrap in plastic and let sit in warm place for 1/2 hour
1. Peel potatoes cover with water and cook till tender when poked with a fork
2. Drain off water and add the rest of the filling ingredients
3. Mash until mixture is smooth
1. Roll out dough until fairly thin on a floured surface. Cut out circles with glass. Place a bit of filling into the centre of each circle. Fold the dough in half over the filling and pinch edges together to seal (Check to make sure sealed before adding to water)
2. Cook the perogy's in boiling water until they float to the top.
3. Remove perogy's from pot and let sit in cold water for a few minutes.
Drain and add the reserved fried onions.
Makes about 50 small perogy's. When freezing, freeze separately on cookie sheet until frozen solid. Store in freezer bags.